Recently, I was on the hunt for a sweet treat. Opening and closing the pantry, stalking the fridge – hunting. I turned to the internet for something gluten-free, taste-filled and easy. It needed to be simple. I slowly narrowed my internet search to lemon flavour. It was then I discovered 2 ingredient gluten free lemon slice! This two-ingredient recipe is not new. It has been working it’s way around the internet for some time and I believe it is actually quite an old fashioned way to whip up a slice. Most of the interpretations I saw hail from the USA and asked for lemon pie filling. Here in Australia we just don’t have the pie filling selection of the states, so I used a tub of Anathoth Lemon Curd. I picked this jar up from my local supermarket.
On a pantry hunt I found a packet of Well & Good cupcake mix. With the cupcake mix I got the added benefit of the gluten free icing mixture to sprinkle over the slice once it cooled. Some icing mixtures use thickeners that contain gluten. By using the gluten-free cupcake mix you can be sure that the entire slice is gluten-free. I think if I were taking this to a children’s party the sprinkles that also come in the pack would be liberally sprinkled across each piece. It really is a great gluten free recipe for kids.
As the magical two ingredients bake away, the smell in the kitchen is amazing. Sugary, lemony, cakey – deliciousness.
The cooking time is 30-40 minutes, for me it was perfect right on 35 mins, when the slice is slightly brown on top and yet still soft and fudgy inside.
Prep Time: 3 minutes | Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 box of Well & Good Gluten free Cupcake Mix
- 1 jar of Anathoth lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line baking pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, empty the contents of the box of cake mix and pour in lemon curd. Whisk/fork mix until it is well combined. There is no need to use an electric mixer.
- Pour the batter in the baking pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Leave to cool, however while it is still warm sprinkle with icing and if you can serve it with a big dollop of thickened cream.
- Or leave it to cool a little more and slice into your preferred serving sized squares.